COMING UP: October 31, 2020, 5:30 – 6:30 PM
10/31 Children’s & Family Blending Time (and Summer Bible Camp Reunion): There will be a special blending time for all children (ages 3-12) and families on Saturday, 10/31 from 5:30 – 6:30 pm ET using Zoom. A music slideshow will start early at 5:25 pm. We will have singing, a lesson on the importance of having healthy companionships, games, and a virtual baking activity (see information below). Wear your Summer Bible Camp t-shirts if you have one! Children are welcome to invite their friends. NO COSTUMES, PLEASE.
VIRTUAL BAKING ACTIVITY
Parents, please have the following ingredients ready in advance for the baking activity:
COMPANION CAKE (Microwaved in mug)
- 3 T. Flour (or 4 1/2 T. if omitting cocoa powder)
- 2 T. Sugar
- 1 T. Unsweetened cocoa powder (optional, for chocolate cake only)
- ¼ tsp. Baking Powder
- dash Salt
- 3 T. Milk (any kind)
- 1 T. Oil (or melted butter)
- 1/8 tsp. Vanilla Extract (or 1/2 tsp. if omitting cocoa powder)
- 1 tsp. Chocolate Chips (optional)
*OTHER MIX-IN FLAVOR IDEAS (optional): Chopped fruit, jam, confetti sprinkles, cinnamon/spice, nut butter, ice cream toppings, etc.
*ALSO PREPARE: Measuring spoons, Spoon for mixing, 1 mug per child
- Spray the bottom of a microwave-safe mug or coffee cup lightly with cooking spray.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and stir together.
- Add milk, canola oil, and vanilla extract and stir until smooth, being sure to scrape the bottom of the mug. Stir in chocolate chips or sprinkle them on top.
- Cook in microwave for 70-90 seconds (see note) until cake is just set, but still barely shiny on top. (see notes below). Allow to rest in microwave for 1 minute before consuming.
*Because all microwaves are different, it’s difficult to give a precise cook time. Start with 70 seconds, wait 1 minute while it cools, then look to see if it is set. Add an additional 15-25 seconds if needed. Allow it to rest in the microwave for 1 minute.
- The trick with mug cakes is to stop cooking the cake earlier than you think, because you want it to be soft on the inside, and the cake will also continue to cook as it cools.
May the Lord sanctify our households and gain our children as His anti-testimony in this dark age!
Zoom link provided via email.
“But Daniel set his heart not to defile himself with the king’s choice provision and with the wine that the king drank, so he requested of the leader of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.”